Monday, July 18, 2016

Impromptu dinner on Monday

It's a last minute home cooked dinner on Monday. After fetching my son from tuition, I drove to my aunt's house to collect dinner but i was shocked, she did not prepare our dinner that day. So the first thing that came into my head was what am i going to cook for my family? It was already 7:00pm....and my hubby should be on his way home already.....oh dear...but before the panic got out of hand, i remembered it was a Monday and my hubby would need to fetch my girl home from her tutorial class which ends at 8:00pm and usually reach home by 8:30pm. That means i have at least an hour plus to whip up dinner before they reach home.

The next thing is to figure out what i have at home while driving home. I remembered i cleared up everything in my fridge for Saturday's dinner but i remembered i have some dried noodles (yee mee) but i do not have meats. So i drove to nearby store to get some chicken fillets.

Once reached home, cooking begins....preparation and cooking plus cleaning all done within 45 minutes. Timing is just right.

This was what we had for dinner....

Braised yee mee with chicken fillets and choy sum

I used to cook this dish for our weekend lunch but since my children have busy weekend schedule attending classes, it's much easier to eat out.

Ingredients:
1) Yee Mee (Dried noodles)
2) Chicken breasts (marinate with soy sauce, salt and pepper)
3) Choy sum
4) Garlics

Seasoning:
1) Soy sauce
2) Salt and pepper
3) Oyster sauce
4) Dark soy sauce
5) Dash of Maggie Seasoning

Note: Mix item 1 to 4 in a small bowl with some water and set a side. Seasoning item 5 is to be added when the noodles are almost done

Methods:
1) Boil a wok of water to blanch the choy sum and yee mee till soften
    Note: make sure not too soft else will be soggy
2) Heat wok and fry garlics till fragrant
2) Add in pre-marinated chicken fillets
3) Add in yee mee and seasonings
4) Finally add in choy sum and a dash of Maggie seasoning

Viola, simple, quick and yummy dinner is ready....


No comments:

Post a Comment